Monday, October 2, 2017

General Conference and a Baptism - Doesn't Get Any Better

with Hermano Correa, Cristofer, and Elder Sharp
Cristofer's Baptism
In between the first and second session of General Conference, Cristofer was baptized.  He was well received by his branch family, even choosing Hermano Correa, the brother who befriended him at church from day-1, to do the honors.  It was a really happy event.


Sticky Buns and the Shield of Faith
For this week's District Class, I made sticky buns (you can say that I have my district eating out of the palm of my hand!). I taught about bearing testimony, and I made the point by using the Armor of God - comparing the Shield of Faith to the Spartan shield.

Spartan Shield
Spartan Shield
The Spartan shield (also known as the ‘hoplon,’ which comes from the word hoplite for the Greek infantrymen) was made of wood, covered in bronze, and supported by laminated leather strapping.  Those layers, along with the curvature and weight (about 30 lbs), gave this piece of armor unmatched strength, enabling them to use it as an instrument of offence as well as defense (able to deliver more force than a car wreck).

Because of its power and versatility, the Spartan shield was considered (along with the spear) the most important piece of armor.  So vital was this piece, that soldiers who lost their shields in battle were punished severely afterwards. 
       When the Spartan king Demaratos was asked, "Why are men dishonored when they lose their shields but not when they lose other pieces of armor?" 
       The Spartan king responded, "Because the latter [other armors] they put on for their own protection, but the shield is for the common good of the whole line."

Drawing the comparison between a Spartan shield and our shield of Faith (our testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ) is an easy one.  It becomes our instrument of offence as well as defense, which is for the common good of the whole line.  I love it when I can nerd-up and teach.


General Conference
Elder Sharp and I watching General Conference broadcast
I loved conference. Here are some highlights:

I don't know about you, but I am inspired!

With that, have a great week, everyone!
Elder Connor Nef












No comments:

Post a Comment