Sunday, August 20, 2017

Prepare for Eternity

Me, Irene, and the Hermanas
Irene's Ah-ha
We've had the zone goal of searching out and finding perennial investigators. We thought we'd divide and conquer. Elder Colman and I teamed up, and Elder Sharp teamed up with Elder Lecheminant. Elder Colman and I arrived at the home of an elderly lady named Irene. 

Turns out she had been investigating the church for years, and even bragged about what she knew. We were really direct with her - she said that she needed to go to church and take the sacrament, but we reminded her that the sacrament before baptism is only bread and water. It's baptism that makes it significant, because the sacrament is about remembering and renewing those baptismal promises. 
Elders Sharp, Colman, Lecheminant, and Me

We said a prayer and kept going. Elder Colman opened up the Book of Mormon to Alma 34 and read to her the verse that says, 

For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; 
yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors. 

And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, 
therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance 
until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, 
behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, 
then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.
Alma 34:32-33

We hammered home the idea that she shouldn't put off doing what she knows is right. Elder Colman and I took turns bearing testimony. Even though the neighbors were listening to loud music next door, our room felt all silent, like it was only us. Elder Colman finished with a testimony so powerful I almost cried. Irene began to cry, and then began to utter a prayer of repentance and gratitude, and said she wanted to be baptized on Saturday. 

When Elder Colman stepped out of the room to take a phone call, I had a five minute interview with her. She was really ready. She asked if I would baptize her, and I said I would. This was possibly the most spiritual experience on my mission thus far. 

She was baptized on Saturday, and she kissed my hand after baptizing her and after the service, thanking me for helping her to take these steps. 

Work is Picking Up In Parral
The rest of this week has been busy: finding, teaching lessons. We have a few people committed to baptism, and we hope to see them through to the end. Members are helping us out wonderfully, like Pancho.

Pancho wanted a picture with the missionaries. I love our district.
Almei and Wislei, our Haitian investigators.

I testify that miracles really do exist, and we can find them - but especially in the service of God.

How great it is to be an instrument in the hands of the Lord,
Elder Connor Nef















No comments:

Post a Comment