Sunday, May 7, 2017

Best Foot Forward


For working a grand total of 12 hours this week, I feel I did well.  My companion's foot troubles continue to keep us on convalesce.  This means more study and planning time for me, Not only are my studies awesome - they are also getting really creative.

My main focuses currently are to read:
1)  All the scriptures in the topical guide and Bible Dictionary about Christ.
2)  Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage. Of 747 pages, I have a good 1/6 left to read (120 pages).

Some fun additional reads, I have been looking into the Twelve Tribes of Israel. I wanted to learn about the responsibilities and blessings of every son (or tribe).
Jacob (whose name was change to Israel) blessing his 12 sons
by Harry Anderson
Ephraim's Blessings
Most of the stuff I have found looks like it only applied to ancient Israel before Christ came. Ephraim got the coolest blessings, of course. Prophets have said it is Ephraim's mission to prepare the way for the coming of the Lord and to assist in gathering Israel.

Studying Ephraim's blessings spoke to me again about the importance of sharing the message of the Restoration and of gathering scattered Israel, which is what I am doing right now. Since my lineage can be traced back to Ephraim, then this responsibility becomes part of my birthright too.

I'd like to point out that Benjamin, poor guy, got the worst of the name definitions. At his birth, his mother named him "Of his mother's dying sorry."  Good thing Jacob stepped in and changed it before anything was legalized on a birth certificate because he changed it to "Of the right hand."

Something's Afoot in my Studies
I even got to the point that I studied feet in the scriptures. I studied feet because my feet are a common subject of conversation everywhere.

Basically there are two points of view: the Old vs. the New Testament. The Old Testament depicts feet as a symbol of choices in life (like the trails we go down) or as a symbol of conquest and victory.

For instance, when Isaiah is talking about Zion returning and Israel being gathered and redeemed, the Lord says:
How beautiful upon the mountains 
are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, 
that publisheth peace; 
that bringeth good tidings of good, 
that publisheth salvation; 
that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Isaiah 52:7

(Doubly cool verse: it talks about missionary work AND feet!)
Missionaries. Feet. Mountain.
On the other hand (or should I say foot!), the New Testament uses feet as the lowest, most vile part of the body -- so to wash, kiss, bow to, or cry over the feet of someone (like Jesus) was the biggest way of demonstrating respect.

Greatest in the Kingdom by J. Kirk Richards

In general, the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants follow the New Testament point of view, unless we are talking about Christ's Second Coming when He will touch His foot on the Mount of Olives. Won't that be cool to see.

Besides my studies this week, we have managed to get a handful of lessons. I have been feeling great about my organizing what time we have been able to get out and work -- and one of our investigators even got a baptismal date! Honestly, I feel really good knowing I am giving full-throttle effort, and that I am putting my best foot forward.

Love to all,
Elder Connor Nef















No comments:

Post a Comment