Monday, June 13, 2016

Hurrah for Israel!

Hurrah. Hurrah for Israel  by Larry Wade
My companion and I are getting along great, but the bad news is that we are sick as dogs.  My comp got sick on Thursday, then it hit me with a vengeance on Saturday. Fever. Chills. Can't sleep. Can't keep anything down. It's been rough.

Tuesday we had a cambio (exchange) with other missionaries, and I was paired with a new elder from Brazil.  Near the end of our day, he said something that hit me like a ton of bricks. "Elder Nef," he said, "You need to be happier and smile more."

Wait. What?

Me - not happy? I have stooped to the point of not smiling? Note taken. Been smiling more since, but today is testing that. Sorry if I don't sound upbeat - this fever and exhaustion have temporarily gotten the best of me.

But even though I don't feel great physically, I can feel Heavenly Father supporting me - giving me just enough to keep going.  Reminds me of Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball when they left on their missions to England.

Heber and Brigham's Mission to England
Their departure was a little...shall we say, less than idea. Malaria swept through the area, hitting their families and them personally. Weakness. Fever. Chills. Yet, even in the thick of sick, Heber and Brigham answered the call to serve overseas and leave immediately.

Heading out with nothing more than meager belongings and audacious faith, they staggered to their ride and plopped down in the back of a horse-drawn wagon.

But as they were being wheeled away, Heber didn't want his family's farewell image to be of him pathetically laying helpless in a wagon bed. So as the wagon rolled away, he and buddy Brigham mustered up enough strength to boost one another to their feet and call out, "Hurrah. Hurrah. Hurrah for Israel!"



Pretty inspiring.

That's the kind of faith I'm trying to have. Answering the call to do what the prophet and God commanded, so that others can learn about the Savior's love. Small price to pay to spread goodness and kindness. Anyway, that's what I'm trying to do.

Remember God's love for us and that miracles come more frequently than you think.

Hurrah for Israel!
Elder Connor Nef









No comments:

Post a Comment